Saturday, June 6, 2015

One last cheerful scent

            Sarah’s room smelled of patchouli and cherry blossoms, mixed with an earthy incent burning in the corner.  It was painted a lighter shade of pink, which was a color she must have despised, as most of it was masked with rock band posters, artwork, and writing by friends amidst each wall. One picture in particular stood out to me, and I couldn’t help but question it. I knew the figure very well, as we’d learned about it together in eighth grade history. But I couldn’t put together why she’d hang this hateful man with a stoic mustache across bed she’d rest in every night.
            “He started an entire war by himself, he was a genius…” she’d explain. 
I nodded my head, “He did get away with mass genocide.”       
Her smirk said it all, how proud she was of what I could learn in such a short instant.
            Catherine was protruding in her stomach now, lightly stretching the five-pointed star tattoo on her hip, something I was envious of. She had wanted to get drunk, but her pregnancy was quite obviously the reason that inspired her sobriety. Once the baby was born, she had flawlessly gone back to her old ways, living it up without consequences until her fatal accident.
            Her face drooped a little blankly now, as a heated question pondered in the back of her mind before it poked out of her mouth. She sighed and lightly touched the subject. Her voice trembled as if he was a forbidden spirit, which shouldn’t be mentioned.
            “Where’s Peter been, Elyse…”
It took me a moment to process an answer that was believable, but sarcasm took over me quickly, as usual.
            “Drinking liquid poison, fighting medieval battles, anything but look for a new job.” I’d admit I was continuously bitter when it came to Peter’s aloof lifestyle. “I don’t care,” I added, although the tone of my voice didn’t match that last statement. I’d never lied well, like telling the truth was a curse my aunt put on me. I laughed to myself in my mind, wondering what she would think if I browsed Sarah’s bookshelf and took A Witches Bible, or Mein Kampf back to the dorm to study. It’s almost certain that she’d tell me I was too young or naïve to comprehend those types of books, but I knew fully well I could suck information out of that literature, like a psychic vampire. She did not grasp my abilities, as they were not for a woman like her to understand.

            Sarah snapped her fingers in front of my face to bring me back to reality. She was one of the few to take my flashbacks lightly; it didn’t scare her like it did the others. “Let’s go for a walk,” she pleaded. Catherine must have been doing anxious flips inside of her stomach again.  I pulled a clove cigarette from my handmade, knitted pouch. “Sure, I’m ready to head out.” I had business to take care of soon, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment